Thursday, November 17, 2005

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

My mother gave me this gem a few years ago, and I have since enjoyed reading it several times.  Published in 1948, it is a young Englishwoman’s journal account of her eccentric, poverty-stricken, family’s encounter with new neighbors from America.  Cassandra is the most delightfully refreshing narrator – she seems quite real.  Dodie Smith’s writing is of a style that I particularly admire, and wish I could emulate.  The title refers to the run-down old castle that Cassandra and her family live in, and how she “captures” it in her journal as she strives to become a better writer.

I particularly like how Smith portrays the fledgling romances.  How typical of teenagers to struggle with their feelings like that.  The “bear chase” scene is hilarious.  There is also a good undercurrent of ye olde British social class struggle; village boy Stephen is in love with Cassandra, but alas, she is above him in class.  

Dodie Smith is also the author of 101 and Dalmations, but don’t let that put you off from reading I Capture the Castle.  It ranks as one of my favorites.  Although, Dalmations isn’t bad either – Disney massacred the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home